Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Great Singles That Never Were... Lady Gaga's "The Fame"

* As a new weekly series, I will be showcasing great songs that never received the single treatment they deserved from albums that I absolutely love. We have all told ourselves why did an artist release a certain song as a single when there were three or four better choices that did not get a chance to shine. I'll be showcasing some great tracks from a few albums every post. Let's see if ya'll agree. :)



     My ultimate music icon, Lady Gaga, burst onto the scene in 2008 with the release of her debut single, "Just Dance." Her debut album, The Fame, quickly followed which spawned four top ten singles. "Poker Face" became another number one for the pop star and "LoveGame" and "Paparazzi" soon followed, peaking at number five and six respectively. However, the album was such a pop gem, garnering many Grammy nominations, that I felt the album could have had a fifth and sixth single if it wanted to. The songs were ahead of their time in 2008 and should go down as one of the most influential, innovative albums ever. The album featured some pop gold, heartfelt ballads, and other unique cuts, but which other ones deserved the single spotlight?
   
     While "Paparazzi" and the rest of the singles deserved their time to shine, there were two more I felt Gaga could have still released, I am sure they would have been top ten hits as well.
     One of my favorite tracks from Gaga's debut album was "Paper Gangsta". While the song carried a more "rap, hip/hop" vibe than the pop heavy singles, the song showed an innovative artist showcasing a different side of her talents, doing something most probably would not expect from her. I love the lyrics and the beat is just hypnotizing, I always find myself singing along. The chorus is the greatest aspect of the song, as you get to hear a bit of sass and swagger in the artist's vocals.
     The song is describing Gaga's hunt for a real man, not someone who is just after the millions she was bound to earn in her successful career. It seemed Gaga regretted not releasing the song as it made a cameo appearance in her "Telephone" music video during the prison scenes. I jumped up and down when I heard it and it just brought back my positive opinions and the heartbreak I experienced when it was not serviced to radio. I adore the song, I hope Gaga would create something that would match "Paper Gangsta's" greatness.




     Another amazing track on Gaga's debut would have made a perfect follow up to "Paparazzi". To play it safe, if I was part of Gaga's management, I would have serviced "I Like It Rough" as The Fame's official and probably final fifth single. The song is dirty, sexual and one for the clubs. Gaga reinvented pop in 2008 and 2009, and she still is today. This song was just another powerful weapon in her arsenal that was never used. Gaga's vocals are perfect as usual and the production is top notch. I'm crying just thinking of the spectacular music video that never was.
     "I Like It Rough" would have pleased Little Monsters and would have made a huge impact on the radio, maybe a bigger impact than her previous raunchy single, "LoveGame." The song brings back memories of high school when I would blast the song while cruising around by myself, it is just too addictive to not enjoy. The song was overlooked in so many ways, not even making an appearance on Gaga's Monster Ball Tour which saddened me more than words can describe. The song is great and everyone should take a listen if they haven't already. Do you agree with my choices as The Fame's fifth single that never was?




Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar